The Tidewater School embraces and exemplifies the research and commitment to
children established by Maria Montessori, Jean Piaget and Alfred Adler.
- Children deserve a prepared environment within a cooperative and respectful class that honors and cultivates each individual’s value.
- Each child is unique from genetic and environmental influences. A positive and caring place nurtures and shapes the child.
- Children, as all human beings, use behavior as a means to belong. Behavior becomes positive and purposeful when children are valued, connected to the community, and encouraged to be responsible. They are able to experience success without fear of failure.
- Children learn by experiencing life through sensory opportunities which enable them to reason and develop new learning skills for application NOW and in the FUTURE.
- Children seek order and purpose, which comes naturally in a prepared environment.
- Children discover information. Through this successful self-discovery, they increase their sense of self-esteem and respect for others.
In fulfilling our beliefs, The Tidewater School offers:
- An Opportunity to mature through programs that focus on the ability of each individual child
- A Curriculum that is progressive, experiential, developmentally respectful and well researched
- A Community that is a safe and affirming environment
- A Team of outstanding educational experts
- A Vision of the future for every child within our community
- A Hope for peace for every human being in our world